6. The Immortals (2009) by Amit Chaudhuri: Music in the modern world. Is it consistent with an opulent lifestyle?
7. The Hungry Tide (2005) by Amitav Ghosh: A journey through the Sunderbans in search of an endangered river dolphin.
8. The Shadow Lines (1988) by Amitav Ghosh: The saga of 2 families-one Bengali and other British through three generations and the freedom movement, World War II and the Calcutta riots of 1964.
9. A Bend in the River (1979) by V.S. Naipaul: The Nobel Prize winning author again flirts with controversy as he explores the rarely touched subject of the Indian diaspora in other countries, especially Africa.
10. Fire On The Mountain (1977) by Anita Desai: A Sahitya Akademi Award-winning novel about a woman who leaves her family to live in the hills-till her great-granddaughter comes to live with her.